Have a question or need help? You have come to the right place. Here you will find answers to frequently asked questions, links to related websites and downloadable documentation. If what you are looking for is not available here please feel free to complete the FAQ form provided and we will do our best to answer you right away!


Timing - When Should I plan my move? (Retirement)

Are you looking for a Respite or a Trial Stay?

Take advantage of convenient and flexible options for Seniors who are:

  • On the road to recovery and need extra assistance
  • Visiting from out of town and need a place to stay with or without additional care
  • Want to experience our lifestyle before making a decision

Rest assured and know that you or your loved one will have access to  

  • A furnished & comfortable suite
  • A caring & social environment
  • Three prepared meals &  refreshments throughout the day and night
  • Housekeeping
  • Activities
  • A safe & secure place to stay with 24 hour staffing


How do I contact Jarlette Health Services Head Office?

Please contact us at 705-549-4889 or simply use the Send Us a Message link on the CONTACT INFO Tab, which is located on the upper right hand corner of this screen.  

We look forward to hearing from you. 

How do I contact the Registrar of the Retirement Homes Regulatory Authority?

Under the Retirement Homes Act, 2010, a person (including retirement home operators, managers, staff, health professionals, social workers and social service providers) who suspects or is aware of any harm or risk of harm to a retirement home resident must immediately report the suspicion and the information on which it is based to the Registrar of the Retirement Homes Regulatory Authority

If you see or suspect:

  • Harm or risk of harm to a resident resulting from:
  • Improper or incompetent treatment or care
  • Abuse of a resident by anyone or neglect of a resident by staff of the retirement home
  • Unlawful conduct
  • Misuse or misappropriation of a resident's money

You must report it to the Registrar of the Retirement Homes Regulatory Authority, along with any other relevant information. To make a report, call: 1-855-ASK-RHRA (275-7472).

What is the difference between long-term care and retirement living options?

Retirement homes promote independence with some or all assistance with meals and housekeeping. Levels of service are coordinated and arranged according to your needs. As increased services are needed, the lodge will discuss the different services packages available. The resident is responsible for the cost of additional services as well as accommodations. 

Those who require 24-hour health and personal support may be better suited to long-term care. Eligibility is determined by Community Care Access Centres based on health assessments completed by a Registered Nurse in the community (home) or in an acute setting (hospital). For those currently in hospital, you can be eligible for an Interim Bed in long-term care which allows you live comfortably in a relaxed setting until a placement into a preferred bed in a home of your choice becomes available. Contact our long-term care homes (nursing home) and retirement lodges for the types of services and accommodations available to you.